Feb 08 2018

Valentine’s Day Sweets and Treats

image for Valentine’s Day Sweets and Treats

While Valentine’s Day can be filled with yummy treats, chocolates, candies, and beautiful flowers, these items can pose serious health risks to our furry and feathered friends.

Chocolate. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, both of which are toxic to dogs, cats, and birds. The darker the chocolate, the more danger it poses. As little as 1 ounce of baker’s chocolate or gourmet dark chocolate can cause toxic effects in a mid-sized dog or cat. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, and restlessness. In severe cases, seizures and heart failure can occur.

Xylitol. Xylitol is gaining popularity as a sweetener in many candies, sugar-free gum, and baked goods. While xylitol is completely safe for human consumption, it is extremely toxic to dogs. Small amounts can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, and even death. Signs of xylitol poisoning develop within 15 minutes of xylitol ingestion, and may include vomiting, weakness, lack of coordination, tremors, seizures, and coma. The most recent information shows that xylitol is not known to be toxic to cats, but since it’s always better ‘to be safe than sorry’, keep all treats away from cats and dogs!

Plants. Some plants can be toxic to your pet. Lilies are especially toxic to cats, causing kidney failure, so be sure to keep lilies out of special Valentine’s Day arrangements in your home. Luckily roses, everyone’s favorite Valentine’s bouquet, are non-toxic to dogs, cats, and birds!

Cellophane. Even the crinkly cellophane that your plants or flowers come wrapped in can pose a threat to your pets. The crinkly sound may be appealing to a cat or young puppy as a play toy, but if ingested, it can become lodged in your pet’s digestive system. Be sure to dispose of the wrapping properly and don’t leave cellophane or foil wrapping on plants you may receive.

This Valentine’s Day, keep all candies, chocolates, baked goods, flowers, and plants out of reach and away from curious pets. If you suspect that your pet has eaten a toxic product, contact your veterinarian right away. Your pet has a better chance of recovery if treated early.

LifeLearn Team | Lifelearn News

Location Hours
Monday7:00am – 6:00pm
Tuesday7:00am – 6:00pm
Wednesday7:00am – 6:00pm
Thursday7:00am – 6:00pm
Friday7:00am – 6:00pm
Saturday8:00am – 12:00pm
SundayClosed

We are closed for lunch from 12:00pm to 2:00pm Monday through Friday, however our front desk remains open during this time for retail sales. Please call us to make your appointment today. **Every 2nd Tuesday of each month we set aside 2 hours of continuing education for our team. During this time between 12:00pm and 2:00pm our hospital is closed except for emergencies. This allows us to gather to share new information and knowledge that assures that our staff is consistently current on veterinary medicine. We hope that this does not greatly inconvenience our clients.